Jan 23, 2010

The Right Sticks

I joined a few drummer networks. There are some common issues among us that could use some new innovation. One of those areas is stick performance.

Each drummer is, of course different and so is his/her actual drum set up. I have for example stubby fat fingers and I sit up higher than most. I hit the drums and cymbals very hard. I believe in "Over" Accentuate everything. The fan (listener) likes the feel the changes coming for a mile away. I just help them with that. LOL

By my style, I sometimes go through 3 to 4 sticks in a 13 to 15 song set. Crazy huh? At 12 bucks a pair, you can see how that can get expensive. I also get splinters all over the place. Wooden tips don't last 5 min, nylon tips sound fake. I actually lately use Vater 5A's left hand wood tip. RH Nylon tip.

When you are recording drums, the unique sound of the nylon tip on my Zildjian Ping Ride is an important accent. That is why the Nylon tip for the Right Hand.

I have looked into lots of options and still need an engineer to come up with a solution. Keep good sound quality and last a while. The new 30 dollar sticks are an idea that I might try but the Guitar Center says you have to tape wrap em. After a while that is a sticky mess I got away from in High School in 1980. (lesson learned). I use a little Gorilla Snot and keep breaking Vater Sticks for now.

Anyone got this under control. Hit me back.

Dewight Traina
Owner Traina Studios

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you want. I can take it.