Are you a mostly glass half full person, or a glass half empty person? Crazy question? Your answer is actually very important. I have a tendency to look for the good in each situation and for the good in people. I almost always find it.
People that are looking for the faults in you, I believe find them also. It seems a miserable existence to me to look for the faults with a person.
Are you in a band? How does you band mates treat each other. Are you helping your "weakest link" improve or just settling for him/her until an adequate (in your mind) replacement comes along? Are you the band critic, or do you support your members? When someone mentions something negative about one of your band members, how do you handle it? A good suggestion is to take the negative person to that band mate and let the feedback happen person to person.
I am not much for a middle man conversation. I have heard lots of those types of comments after the person is not around. No chance for good quality feedback, only second hand assumptions.
A band is a sensitive situation. You end up knowing more than you want. If you continue to look at the negative, without healthy suggestions to further the "weakest link". Bad things happen.
Some people take criticism different than others. I was trained by my mentor, before giving any negative feed back, you should give a positive response first.
The longer your team stays together. The more important the relationships get. Do you accept the things people do wrong as well as what they do right? No one is perfect every day. Even you.
I also know, every time a band member changes, the whole chemistry is changed. Almost like starting again. Protect that investment with communication skills and looking for the positive. If you look for the negative, you will always find it.
Have a great day.
Dewight
No comments:
Post a Comment
Say what you want. I can take it.