Jan 5, 2010

Protecting your music

Hi Dewight Traina here.

In the past couple of years, I have been working both as a Recording Studio Owner and an artist. The things that I have learned are amazing.

Last year with my band Torque, we play around 105 shows through the midwest. The Curtain Club in Dallas to The Blue Goat in Salina. All over. We have played with some awesome bands and made some great fans.

While at home, I run a recording studio because I know how hard it is as an artist to find a recording studio you are confortable recording in and the influences sometimes change your songs. I did not want that for my band and since I was designing in anyway, I thought we could help local bands around Wichita too.

All has gone pretty well.

The odds of making it in the music business are very slim. Your have internal personality issues. Spouse and family issues. You have to be willing to work a few years for literally no money. Stay focused on your dream and music. Get that music recorded. Market that music. Become a brand. Get a manager you can trust. Sell your merchandise for gas money and food on the road. Sleep in some crazy places. Get home when your wife and kids are getting ready for their day. Any one of the above things can cause a band to not make it. Even if your songs are the best, the odds of it getting to the right market are still not even mentioned.

Getting a good record deal is usually after your 3rd to 5th years if you get one at all.

So next you study what it takes to be your own label. Paperwork not bad. Couple hundred bucks. The tough part is marketing yourself. The market has moved to internet and pod cast. Used to be labels and radio stations.

I have over 25 web sites to maintain to market Torque. The labels all know that and have manpower hired just to maintain and brand these bands. All you give up is about 4 bucks of every 10 dollar album you sell.

Most of us think you made it to the big time if you can get to enough money generating to take care of your family and play for a living. We admire our friends in bands that have done this. Primer 55, Soulfly, Hemlock, Seasons After and many others. Bon Jovi drove on for about 8 years before they got to a decent living.

You must really love what you are doing and have a will in your heart that makes you continue on.

The next few blogs will be about our upcoming mini tour with Primer 55. We are starting in Independence Mo. We get back to Wichita for a CD release with Mark Rizzo of Soulfly on January 22 at The Lizard Lounge.

Here at Traina Studios I know the most important thing is the music. I care about it, live it and love it. Music Matters and so do the people fighting to get it to your ears.

Have a great day.

Dewight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you want. I can take it.